This post may contain links if clicked on may earn us commissions.
What is a healthy relationship? It is simple where one where each party is able to be their best selves. Easier said than done, right? Maybe not. Here are 8 key ingredients you should ensure are present in your relationship if you want it to rock and be super healthy:
- Just be honest. It is easy to allow our ego to get in the way at times. The times when you should have admitted being wrong were the times to be honest and just admit being wrong.
- Forgive and forget quickly. Love needs a welcoming place to blossom. Create and nurture that welcoming space as much as you can and do not muck it up with grievances.
- Be trustworthy. Yes, that goes without saying but I mean being completely trustworthy. Your spouse should be able to trust you enough to talk to you about issues. If you are one that is likely to be overcritical then guess what, the trust is not going to be there.
- Listen as if you are the speaker and not the one being spoken to. In short, learn to communicate in an empathetic manner.
- Be spontaneously nice. Spontaneity creates newness and new experiences. As human beings we love new experiences that are pleasant and comforting.
- Be courteous and be respectful. You know the saying – familiarity breeds contempt. Do not allow familiarity to breed contempt in your relationship, but instead respect and admiration.
- Love completely and unconditionally. Loving completely and unconditionally means that even when there is the worst of screw-ups in the relationship, that love will be your rock and glue. It will be evident and it will save your relationship time and time again.
Be vulnerable. No, it doesn’t mean to be a doormat, but allow yourself to be open without fear. It doesn’t mean to throw caution to the wind but eventually that is where you want your relationship to be – where you can be vulnerable without fear.
So there you have it, 8 simple things you can do or be in your relationship to make it really be healthy day in day out and to make it really rock.